17 July 2011

Welcome to my jungle!



It's been almost a year, to the day, since my last post! I have to put it down to a combination of blogger's block and photographer's block, I guess. Poor excuses, no doubt and thanks to my good friend Balaji for bringing the Rambler home!


Over the years, we have all had reason to bemoan the price that we have had to pay for urbanisation and the virtual disappearance of several things that were such an integral part of our childhoods. Large open spaces, the ubiquitous sparrow, the ‘Rita’ ice cream push cart, ‘Drive-in’ Woodlands and the milling crowds at first division cricket matches, are but a few of the sights and smells of Madras, that now belong in history books.


Inevitably, the old single and two storey houses have given way to apartment blocks and Madras has emulated its ‘metro’ cousins, Bombay and Delhi in becoming a concrete jungle. Thankfully, however, Madras still has more green cover than most cities in the country - at least that’s the impression you get, when you see it from the air. Perhaps, it has to do with the expanse of the Guindy forest, from IIT to the Raj Bhavan and equally, to havens like the Theosophical Society. But it is true that we still have the luxury of tree lined avenues, public parks – several of them well maintained – and private homes that usually boast of a couple of coconut trees, a mango tree or perhaps a neem tree, plus a smattering of flowering plants.


Over the years, as I have lamented the above chronicled changes, I have also had occasion to observe and welcome (??) a few visitors of the non human variety, as they have chosen at various times, to make the trees and shrubs around our house their temporary abodes and on occasion, gone a little further too!! From squirrels that chose to nest in the cups of our ceiling fans and a cat that chose my son's cupboard to litter in, to a baby mynah taking her first flying lessons and a certain slithering green reptile who took a liking to our wrought iron staircase, we've had some variety for sure; And then of course, the amazing array of birds and their music!


To this day, I am blessed to awaken to a chatter of sounds and birdsong and momentarily forget the concrete jungle around me. At dawn and the hours immediately preceding and succeeding it, you would almost believe that you were some place else. Welcome to my jungle! As always, please click on the images to see full size images.




Black rumped flameback




Love is.... sharing a meal!









To fly or not to fly?



Green vine snake







Indian Koel female



Indian Koel male




rufous treepie

15 comments:

PRabhu S said...

Nicely written.

Nice collection...thankfully the squirrel is still there at home for the morning breakfast every day.

Prabhu

kb said...

So the prodding and nudging has worked! Great photos once again. The vine snake is stunning!

Balaji Venugopal said...

Welcome back....
The photographs are superb, and your point about the price that we pay for urbanisation is well made.
I am astonished at the variety of creatures that have visited you in your city home.

Krishna said...

All I can say is I am floored! The green snake is awesome to say the least. How did you mange it? Everything else is great too but ther snake takes the cake.
Krishna Raman.

Anonymous said...

What beautiful photos (and commentary)!
-Preeti

Tridib said...

The thoughts strike a wistful chord in those of us who have seen the changes in our cities. I remember peacocks visiting our lawn almost every day in Delhi in the 60s. The area is now an urban challenge.
Your writing and pictures bring home the fact that we can still find many of our long lost friends if we decide to find the time to notice them. Great writing and great pictures. Thanks for the pleasure.

Ashwin Narasimhan said...

I believed that you lived in Poes Garden. You obviously live in some hill station. I loved the squirrels the best - snakes scare me. Even the very thought that you got this snake in your garden is scary. Photos are excellent - even more so given that they were shot in the urban concrete jungle.

The second blog states the eternal truth. You never really own your children. You merely take care of them for the next generation. ( Shamelessly copied from the Patek Philippe ad ). My daughter is nearing 12. I was at her sports day today, having left office post lunch. I am glad I did so. Maybe another 6 years before this bird flies off the nest. Your blog reinforces the decision to skip office today afternoon. Reminds me of the story of the golf balls in the bottle. Great timing.

Keep writing. One article a year is not on. Look forward to seeing much more. .....Regards

Sundar said...

A very realistic & nostalgic portrayal of the "Majestic Madras" of yore and the "Chaotic Chennai" of the present.This piece has re-kindled
my fond memories of the good old Madras & made me spend a few hours living in the past.Guys like us certainly miss "Drive-in" which used to be our rendezvous in the evenings and at the week ends after a movie.
Fortunately I'm one among the blessed few to wake up to the Koels call & the squirrel's chirping since I have a few trees around my home.

a said...

I am so sad to have missed the snake. This is so nicely thought out and of course, a beautiful set of pictures! :D























backgrounds, utorrent























backgrounds, utorrent

Meenakshi said...

And about time too! I hope you saw my comment made in May 2011 on your last post!!

A nice piece of writing to accompany the lovely pictures. The ones of the snake are scary; good that I hadn’t seen the pictures before I took the selfsame stairs yesterday!!

Divya said...

The shots are terrific, as usual. I specially loved the squirrels sharing. Are all of them taken at home?!

N GANGA RAM said...

I enjoyed reading this beautifully written piece which stirs up poignant memories of one's own fond and cherished places of yesteryear swept off by urban waves.

The accompanying photos are SUPERB!

Well done, TTS! I look forward to more such nostalgic accounts from you in the days to come.

N.Ganga Ram

Nandakumar said...

What a lo-onn-g wait, more than 6 months into '011, but going by the contents, it's bin worth the wait! I know Balaji the Prime Mover's guiding influence on the writer's life and actions, & it's but fitting that He caused the wake-up call thro' the human who bears His name!
Super pics, poetry-as-photos, and the writing, o-so-readable! Keep 'em pourig in, mon ami, U really shouldn't keep us waiting for yr next!

Aroon Raman said...

Lovely first re-blog after your longish break from the site! Great shots which made the post even more enjoyable. Only comment was that the flameback seems to be to be a golden backed woodpecker for sure – so is the flameback another name for the same bird?

I would also love to have you do a ramble through different parts of Chennai itself and so similar account for us – with photos. The Theosophical Society would be wonderful to start with – with shots of the estuary and shoreline and other features of natural interest as well. IIT M would also be great – where I have seen paradise flycatchers and the indian pitta as resplendent as ever.

Anonymous said...

I heard the story of snake ad what hulla bulla it made ! poor just water snake terrify people what will we do If we happens to see REAL SNAKE! O GOD! I see nice birds which i did n't see quite long